In 2008, Y-USA and The LIVESTRONG Foundation® joined together to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals. The research-based program offers people affected by cancer a safe, supportive environment to participate in physical and social activities focused on strengthening the whole person.
In addition to the physical benefits, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA focuses on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community where people impacted by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond. The 12-week program includes two 90-minute classes per week in a small group setting, which includes a wellness program suited to your individual ability level. Funded locally by YMCA of WNC and community partners, the program is offered at no cost to participants and also includes a family membership to the Y for the session’s duration.
• Improve energy levels and self esteem
• Build muscle mass and strength
• Increase flexibility and endurance
• Improve ability to perform everyday tasks
• Develop a fitness plan to continue practicing a healthy lifestyle
Contact your closest YMCA (currently offered at all 5 YMCA locations throughout Buncombe, Henderson, and McDowell Counties) for a brief pre-screening. From there, interested and qualified participants will be added to the queue/waitlist. Days and times vary for each YMCA location.
• Must be a cancer survivor. (Survivor meaning point of diagnosis onward)
• Consult your oncologist or a hospital oncology representative before joining the program for medical clearance. (see medical clearance form at the bottom of the page)
• Patients currently undergoing treatment may participate with medical clearance.
• Program is recommended for those recently finished with treatment; however enrollment is handled on case by case basis.
• Strong personal desire and commitment to participate in the program (Highly recommended to attend a minimum of 80% of classes).
• Give permission for a LIVESTRONG at the YMCA representative to contact your physician or health care provider if necessary.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is partly funded by The Annual JOYride in honor of Laurey Masterton. The Third Annual JOYride will be September 12th, 2015. See their page for more information: ymcawnc.org/JOYride.
“Cancer sapped me of my strength, energy, and self-confidence. LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and its instructors helped me challenge myself, working through the diversity of the Y’s programs. I may not be 100% yet but I’m getting there! Thank you for prodding me to do more, and making it a lot of fun too!”
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Alumni and new member of the YMCA of WNC
To find out more information regarding this program, criteria for participating and how to register, contact Rachel Dudasik at [email protected] or 828 210 9607.