In 2008, Y-USA and The LIVESTRONG Foundation® joined together to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals. The research-based program offers people affected by cancer a safe, supportive environment to participate in physical and social activities focused on strengthening the whole person.
In addition to the physical benefits, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA focuses on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community where people impacted by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond. The 12-week program includes two 90-minute classes per week in a small group setting, which includes a wellness program suited to your individual ability level. Funded locally by YMCA of WNC and community partners, the program is offered at no cost to participants and also includes a family membership to the Y for the session’s duration.
• Improve energy levels and self esteem
• Build muscle mass and strength
• Increase flexibility and endurance
• Improve ability to perform everyday tasks
• Develop a fitness plan to continue practicing a healthy lifestyle
Contact your closest YMCA (currently offered at all 5 YMCA locations throughout Buncombe, Henderson, and McDowell Counties) for a brief pre-screening. From there, interested and qualified participants will be added to the queue/waitlist. Days and times vary for each YMCA location.
• Must be a cancer survivor. (Survivor meaning point of diagnosis onward)
• Consult your oncologist or a hospital oncology representative before joining the program for medical clearance. (see medical clearance form at the bottom of the page)
• Patients currently undergoing treatment may participate with medical clearance.
• Program is recommended for those recently finished with treatment; however enrollment is handled on case by case basis.
• Strong personal desire and commitment to participate in the program (Highly recommended to attend a minimum of 80% of classes).
• Give permission for a LIVESTRONG at the YMCA representative to contact your physician or health care provider if necessary.
“Cancer sapped me of my strength, energy, and self-confidence. LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and its instructors helped me challenge myself, working through the diversity of the Y’s programs. I may not be 100% yet but I’m getting there! Thank you for prodding me to do more, and making it a lot of fun too!”
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Alumni and new member of the YMCA of WNC
For more information about LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, contact Program Coordinator Rachel Dudasik at [email protected] or 828-210-9607.