The YMCA of Western North Carolina understands that military families are under enormous strain. We are honored to participate in the YMCA Military Outreach Initiative, which provides free Y memberships to military families through the Department of Defense.
As a member of the Y, you and your family can spend quality time together and enjoy fun activities in a warm, supportive environment. It’s also a place to meet other military families who can relate to your unique situation.
Title 10 personnel are eligible for a Y membership, including:
- Family members of deployed National Guard and reservists
- Active Duty personnel at Independent Duty Stations and their families
- Relocated spouse/dependent children of deployed Active Duty personnel
Note: The Relocated Spouse category supports families/spouse who relocate away from an installation/duty station while the active duty service member is deployed. All of the following criteria must be met:
- The service member is on active duty.
- The service member is deployed for a minimum of six months (on deployment orders -- NOT unaccompanied orders, NOT geographic bachelors).
- The spouse has relocated away from the military installation where the service member is assigned (most often, back home near family).
- Wounded service members assigned to a Community Based Warrior in Transition Unit (CBWTU)
How to apply
Go to the Military OneSource website or call 800 342 9647 to confirm your eligibility and request an eligibility form.
Fill out your eligibility form and bring it with your military ID and any other required documentation (usually, your deployment orders or Military Service Headquarters approval letter) to the Reuter Family YMCA for verification. Please do not leave copies of these documents at the Y.