Teaching children how to be safe around water is not a luxury; it's a necessity. The YMCA’s Safety Around Water program can help you make sure they learn essential water safety skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them to satisfy their curiosity safely.
Safety Around Water
Safety Around Water is not a traditional swim lesson. This eight-day course, taught by a certified instructor, teaches children two sets of skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. A typical session includes:
- Exercises to help children adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- An activity that teaches children about specific safety topics such as pool rules and boating safety
- A fun game to encourage comfort and activity around water
- A handout for parents and caregivers with additional water safety tips.
Help Keep Your Children Safe
Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water. But parents and caregivers can't keep their children sidelined. It's important to equip them with the tools they need to be confident in and around water so they don't lose out on the health benefits of exercise, the opportunities to bond with family and friends, and the sense of accomplishment when they learn new skills.