Asheville YMCA celebrates renovations with open house, ribbon cutting
Flagship Y expands services for downtown community
Asheville, N.C., March 8, 2018 – The Asheville Y is celebrating the completion of major renovations with two community events:
- Saturday, March 10 the Y is hosting an open house from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event features tours, light refreshments, exercise demonstrations, family activities, and prize giveaways, featuring gift cards from local merchants.
- Tuesday, March 13 at 4 p.m. is the official ribbon cutting with the Asheville Chamber of Commerce. Light refreshments will be served.
Built in 1970 and last updated in the mid-1990s, the downtown Asheville Y is home to more than 9,500 YMCA of WNC members. A $2.5 million renovation project began last July. Upgrades include:
- 2,400-square-foot expansion of the wellness center with higher ceiling
- New flooring, lights and fans
- New fitness equipment (including handicapped-accesible and cardio pieces)
- Additional stretching space
- Covered entryway with ADA-accesible doors
- Resurfaced and renovated pool and sauna areas
- New major mechanical units to more efficiently heat water for pools and showers
- Nutrition outreach commissary (scheduled to open Spring 2018)
"These renovations are more than cosmetic. They are a sign of the Y's commitment to the health, well-being, and economic development of downtown Asheville," said YMCA of WNC President and CEO Paul Vest. "We are especially excited about creating space for a new nutrition outreach area, which will allow us to reduce food insecurity for more residents."
Members who join the Y at the downtown location March 10-13 will pay no joining fee. To learn more, contact the Asheville Y at 828 210 9622.